(BUS 13) Living on Internet Time (9-697-052)
This session will focus on how four companies in
the Internet software market approach product development.
1. Use Porter's five forces to describe the Internet
software market in 1996.
2. Where are computer networks in their life cycle?
Where is the Internet in its life cycle?
3. Compare and contrast development at Netscape,
Yahoo!, NetDynamics, and Microsoft. What sort of a development
model do they follow (parallel, sequential, iterative)?
4. How would you position each of the companies in
the price/features, newness, and risk matrices? How are these
positionings linked to each company's development strategy? Are
their strategies appropriate?
5. Optional: How is software development different
from hardware development? How is developing software for the
Internet different from software development in general?